There are a few sleeping positions in pregnancy that pregnant women are advised to adopt, so as to prevent discomfort, especially as the pregnancy progresses. During pregnancy especially for first time mothers, you may experience discomfort before falling asleep due to the following reasons:
- Increased size of the abdomen “stomach”
- Back pain
- Shortness of breath
Your sleeping position may not be the best. So which is the best?
Pregnancy is divided into 3 main stages, i.e
- 1st Trimester
- 2nd Trimester
- 3rd Trimester
Best Sleeping Positions in Pregnancy in First Trimester (1st 3months)
Sleeping in any position is generally fine early in pregnancy but the earlier one starts practicing sleeping the right way in pregnancy the better.
Best Sleeping Positions in pregnancy for 2nd and 3rd trimester
During the second and third trimesters, the recommended sleeping positions in pregnancy is simply called “SOS” which means “SLEEPING ON SIDE”. The left side of the body is preferred than the right side. This is because, when you sleep on your left side, you will help to increase the volume of blood and other nutrients that gets to your baby by taking pressure off your liver and your kidneys. This creates more room for them to function, helping with swelling on your hands and feet. Keep your legs and knees bent and put a pillow between your legs to relieve the stress on your back.
Sleeping Positions to avoid during pregnancy?
- “SLEEPING ON YOUR BACK” should be avoided by all means as it can cause problems with breathing, back aches, low Blood pressure and reduced circulation to your heart and to your baby.
- Sleeping on your stomach; Only in earlypregnancy
More steps to sleeping better during pregnancy
- Limit caffeine intake
- Take plenty of water during the day but reduce intake couple of hours before sleep time
- Exercise for 30mins as it helps sleep better
- Relaxing activities such as warm bath, foot or shoulder massage
Feel free to ask any question using the comment.
Thanks to American PregnancyLeave a reply