Let’s talk about Stomach Ulcer:
Doc, I was having serious pains after I feel down while I was running. Then I went to this chemist who gave me ibuprofen, and since then, anytime i eat, especially hot peppery foods, my chest will be like its on fire!!
Doc, what can I do?
Table Of Content
- What is Stomach Ulcer
- What can cause me Ulcer
- How do I know if I have ulcer
- What to do if you have Ulcer
- How do I prevent Ulcer
- Good foods for ulcer
- Foods to Avoid for Ulcer
What is Stomach Ulcer?
Stomach ulcer: is simply a wound, but inside your stomach.
The same way pepper and salt pains you when you put it on a wound on your skin/body, that’s the way you’d feel the pain when it touches the ulcer in your stomach.
What can cause me stomach Ulcer?
There are 2 main things that can cause stomach ulcer.
- Infection by a bacteria that is called H. Pylori.
- Drugs: abusing of drugs like Ibuprofen, diclofenac, Aspirin, piroxicam, etc is the main reason may people develop stomach ulcer.
How do I know if I have stomach ulcer?
If you are notice any heartburn, or any burning sensation in your chest or stomach area, that is worse especially after you eat, you should suspect stomach ulcer.
What to do if you have stomach Ulcer?
If you suspect you have ulcer, it is important for you to see a doctor because, in some occasions, it can cause one to develop gastric cancers.
Hence your doctor has to do a test called an endoscopy to take sample & test to be sure hat it is not cancerous.
In treating ulcer of the Stomach, you can use: Omeprazole + Amoxicillin + Metronidazole for 7 days.
Talk to us using comment box or contact form for any questions.
How do I prevent Stomach Ulcer?
- Eat properly cooked food to prevent infection by H. Pylori
- Avoid drug abuse of those listed drug above. Excessively talking of drugs of any kind, even paracetamol can lead to Liver disease & that’s not a good thing.
- Avoid Cigarette smoking
- Avoid excessive Alcohol consumption
- Diet: No need to avoid any type of diet if you do not have ulcer, but if you have developed ulcer, there are some diets that are good, and some that can worsen your ulcer.
Good foods for stomach ulcer
- Yogurt, Apples, Avocado Pear, Oatmeal
- Sweet potatoes, Spinach, Carrots, Broccoli, Strawberries.
- Fish, egg, liver, Chicken, turkey, goat meat and other lean meats.
- Unripe plantain, Wheat
- Vegetables like cucumber, garden eggs, okra, green pepper, cranberries and cabbage.
- Pap, ‘Moi moi’ instead of beans
- Coconut, coconut milk and coconut water. Banana or banana milkshakes.
Foods to Avoid for Stomach Ulcer
- Salty or Spicy foods like pepper soup, suya, indomie, etc.
- Milk: causes increased acid production.
- carbonated drinks like Soft drinks (coke, fanta, 7up, Pepsi) and others
- Beans: has been known to worsen ulcer pains & cause heartburn as a result of acid reflux.
- Coffee worsens ulcer pain.
- Tomatoes: known to contain acid that can worsen pain.
- Roasted corn: Cooked corn is preferable.
- Citrus fruits like oranges, lemon, lime, etc makes ulcer pain worse.
Others are: Alcohol, Tobacco/cigarettes, Refined sugar, Red meat.